The Panthers returned from their summer vacation to beat the Black Duck 7-3, in a wet game at the BIP. Literally, the ice never completely froze. But that didn’t stop Newy from freezing out the Ducks in the 2nd and 3rd, holding them to just the three goals in the first. Panthers came out sluggish again, going down 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2, before tying it to end the first.
The second was a bit of a different story, as the high flying Ducks ran out of gas and found themselves down 4-3. The Panthers withstood a barrage of head-high slap shots and half-hearted body checks by short guys in shoulder pads to return to their low speed breakouts through the neutral zone. This is where most of the game resided.
The third was a bit of a formality as both teams were out of gas, and really were just struggling to not burst into flames, as I’m pretty confident that the owner of the BIP turned the heat on in the middle of July. Strange move, but when you’re the Panthers, you have a target on your back and even the rink guy is trying to take you down.
- POTG went to Dad Peterson. The player of the game snack was Watermelon Sour Patch Kids. Delish
- Fast Drew played in the game, but nobody noticed, so he wrestled the smallest kid on their team (5’4″ if he’s lucky) after an exchange of slewfoots (wait what?)
- The ref crew made an appearance on the scoresheet with 4 blocked shots and 6 blocked passes on the night, a season high
- Newy checked in with a tape to tape pass to the other team at the bottom of the circle for his first assist of the year
- Regular Drew got a really nice pass late in garbage for a tap-in to seal the victory for the Panthers. Just kidding, he wiffed completely
- Almost all of the guys on the team who are Dads scored last night. Get it together Tater
Bring your galoshes to the rink next week, as the Panthers take on the first place Bulldogs in a battle of the regular season elites of the Tuesday Night Hockey League. 11:10PM at the BIP.