At first glance, this one looked like the Panthers were going to control things handily. With The Pub rolling in an essential personnel only lineup, 7 guys almost was enough to put away the Panthers, who showed up with 22 guys, 2 goalies, several coaches and a scouting staff. The Panthers jumped out to an early lead with goals by Bon and Philly to give the boys a little breathing room at the end of one.
The second was a much different story, as the Pub battened down the hatches and turned out a solid two-way performance. A broken play at the side of the Pub net watched a puck find it’s way into the cage off of the Silent Assassin’s stick. The Panthers held on as a barrage of shots finished out the second, with Newy staying solid.
The third saw a defensive lapse in all aspects for the Panthers, as they held on for the first 3 minutes, and then let up 3 goals all in a little over 5 minutes of play to tie the game. The Panthers would stay strong, however, as some crafty veteran play kept the puck down in the Pub end for the next few minutes. A defensive disaster of a shift for the Pub saw Philly get the puck out to Stevie for, what would be, the eventual game winner.
Some Instant Reactions from the Game:
- Bon went 0-1 in the dot bringing his faceoff percentage for the game to 0.00%
- Stevie is under investigation by the FTC for colluding with the rink glass manufacturers. His shooting percentage for the season is ~2%, most of them high and wide
- The Panthers are looking for a new equipment sponsor, mostly for jock straps. Half of the team had stolen during the 3rd period
- Turtle Drew had one of the strangest moves ever, showing up with beer in a mint-scented trash bag. The league will be reviewing the situation to see if any rules were broken
- Philly had a solid night, leading the Panthers with 3 points (1G,2A). He has resumed his usual spot at the top of the Panthers Stat Sheet.
- Panthers are back at it next week, facing league newcomers Black Duck at 7:40PM